First- and Second-Year Transition (FAST) programs offer an array of First-Year Learning Courses (FLCs), Sophomore Year Experience (SYE), and Second-Year Research & Creative Experience (SYRCE) which are academic courses that provide General Education (GE) credit and support students whether they are transitioning into Sonoma State from high school or continuing their academic journey at SSU.
Our FLCs are a great opportunity for incoming first-year students engage with the university and receive support as they are transitioning to the university while engaging in innovative and academically enriching courses that provide GE credit.
What you'll get from the an FLC?
- A good start on your academic and career goals
- Information about campus resources and opportunities
- Tips and tricks on how to get involved and make the most of your Seawolf Experience
- Friends and mentors
What makes these courses unique?
- Only offered to first-year students (first-time, first years)
- Small class size (25 or less)
- Interactive and discussion-orientation with meaningful assignments
- Each course has a peer mentor - an experienced undergraduate student ready to support you!
- It's a fun way to ease into life at SSU!
Quotes from former students
"Peer mentoring [in an FLC] really helped me feel part of a community during my first year as an FLC student and now as a Peer Mentor." - Shannon X.
"I love the support that we provide each other as a program, whether you're a student, a Peer Mentor, or a part of the leadership staff." - Emely T.
"It makes me so happy to see first and second year students, as well as our Peer Mentors and Facilitators build connections with each other." - Kaya F.